Morenci’s city government made a smooth transition to a new mayor with only minor changes in committee assignments.
Mayor Doug Erskin and new city council member Art Erbskorn were sworn into office by clerk/administrator Renée Schroeder, along with returning incumbents Dick Hewitt and Leasa Slocum.
Council members approved Erskin’s recommendations for department heads and appointed officials, a list that presented no changes to the existing appointments.
• Chief of police, Larry Weeks;
• City superintendent, Lonnie Vanderpool;
• City administrator/clerk, Renée Schroeder;
• City treasurer, Stephanie Mossing;
• Library director, Elizabeth Stella;
• Zoning administrator, Jack Baird (residential) and Jacob Barnes (commercial);
• Code enforcement officer/building inspector, Kevin Arquette;
• EMS coordinator, Cindy Lazarz;
• Fire chief, Chad Schisler;
• Assessor, Marty Marshall;
• City attorney, Fred Lucas.
Keith Pennington was approved as mayor pro tempore.
Committee assignments include:
• Public safety (fire, EMS and police): Tracy Schell (chair), Leasa Slocum, Jason Bryant and Keith Pennington;
• Public works (parks, cemetery, library, utilities, streets and sidewalks): Dick Hewitt (chair), Art Erbskorn, Bryant and Slocum;
• Finance, legal, personnel and economic development: Pennington (chair), Hewitt, Erbskorn, Schell and Erskin.
Matt Woznicki was approved as a new member of the planning commission.