When Fayette’s elementary school principal Dr. LuAnn Boyer visited Montpelier’s school, she saw a display of the district’s old buildings that preceded the new school.
With Fayette approaching a similar situation—the demolition of the high school and the possible sale of the Franklin building—she wanted to commemorate the Fayette school buildings somehow.
When she mentioned the idea in the superintendent’s office, Molly Graf came through with the solution. Dr. Boyer thought the suggestion was the cat’s meow.
Or make that Cat’s Meow—the company that creates small, commemorative replicas of buildings.
Dr. Boyer moved forward with the project. She spoke with Jerry Schaffner about taking photos of the two buildings. She obtained the history of the Franklin building from John Winzeler. The orders were placed and the buildings are now on sale.
The wooden replicas are available for $15 each at either school office plus the Normal Memorial Library.
As with all Cat’s Meow items, there’s also Casper, the black cat trademark seen on every piece.
The back side of each model includes a brief history of the building. The Franklin school, for example, has been in operation for 70 years and first opened as a township school. New classrooms were added in 1958.
The high school building was completed in 1929, with additions constructed in 1953, 1973 and 1997.