Morenci Education Foundation awarded nine mini-grants to teachers last week.
The nine grants totaled $2,033. The foundation sponsors an annual Father’s Day golf tournament to generate funds for the grant program. During the past 10 years, the foundation has awarded 131 grants totaling $46,612.
Art teacher Kym Ries was awarded $150 to provide Cultural Design students the opportunity to further explore international cultures. The students will paint each others’ faces with designs from the Sudan and Amazon regions and then photograph their painted faces for a photo exhibit.
The grant will be used to purchase face painting materials and photographs.
• Kindergarten teacher Paula Grieder received $161 to purchase an alphabet flip chart and Letter-of-the-Day chart for use with the Letter-of-the-Week curriculum.
• Third grade teachers Robin Borton and Kelly Bush each received $250 to purchase sets of history books for all third grade students that would integrate reading and Michigan history.
• Third grade teacher Kelly Bush was also awarded a $200 grant to purchase a projection camera to allow her to project teaching materials on the board.
• Fourth grade teachers received $250 to purchase supplemental reading and social studies materials.
• Fourth grade teacher Beth Wright was awarded $256 to purchase a projection camera to illustrate concepts she is teaching.
• Fourth grade teacher Natalie Zuvers received $257 to purchase a projection camera and an “Eggspert” quiz game to enable student to review concepts in an interactive way. She was also awarded $257 to purchase supplemental math and science materials to provide hands-on learning opportunities.