Outhouse diggers update 10.06

Posted in 2010 October

The outhouse diggers who were featured in the Sept. 22 Observer finally found their first bottle with a Morenci label.

While excavating in the back yard of a West Locust Street home, a bottle was found with a label from the druggists Pegg & Hall, with an 1881 date.

H.D. Pegg is listed in Morenci’s bicentennial history book as a druggist.

The diggers reported locating five separate outhouse pits at the Cowgill residence on Stephenson Street. Some families would have cleaned out a pit while others would choose a new location.

The hunters are interested in exploring some of the older locations in the area, such as the Buckhorn Tavern west of Morenci. Anyone with suggestions for the explorers can leave information at the Observer office.

Weekly newspaper serving SE Michigan and NW Ohio - State Line Observer ©2006-2014