Fayette park board members discussed improvement projects for 2010 that include the ball diamonds, basketball courts and playground.
Projects discussed at the Jan. 18 meeting included:
• improving lighting for the ball diamonds and basketball courts;
• improving fencing in front of the dugouts at both diamonds to a height of eight feet;
• removal of the warning track on diamond number one;
• setting playground equipment;
• adding new blacktop to the basketball courts;
• and building a retaining wall where the railroad ties are now located.
New board members Rebecca Lovelass and Bev Figgins were present for the Feb. 15 meeting when employment was discussed for the summer.
Village administrator Amy Metz presented a salary proposal for a position that would serve both the parks and the village. The park board would contribute 25 percent of the cost of salary and benefits for the park director/maintenance position.
The shared position would allow for a flexible schedule in which the director would devote about a fourth of his or her time to park needs over the course of the year.
The organization of summer ball leagues begins in late winter, for example, and diamond preparation for school ball teams starts in April. In the case of emergencies such as a water line break, village work would take precedence.
CONCESSIONS—Two proposals to operate the park concession stand were received, one from Virginia White and Jo Wagner, and the other from the parents of the sophomore class. No decision was made.