Arnold Vincent Reister, 80, of rural Hillsdale, Mich., died May 9, 2013, at his home following a two-year illness.
He was born Oct. 5, 1932, in Ogden Township, Mich., the son of August V. and Hope I. (Case) Reister.
He graduated from Morenci High School in 1951 where he lettered in all four sports. He was a member of the 1948 football team that was considered the best in the area.
Arnold married his high school sweetheart, Janis Williamson, on Dec. 1, 1951, in Adrian, and she survives.
Arnold was a farmer all his life in Lenawee and Hillsdale counties. He loved working with his registered Holstein cows and received the Michigan Holstein Association Master Breeder Award in 2012. His herd has had the highest rolling herd average in Hillsdale County for the past six years. Showing animals at the Lenawee and Hillsdale Fairs, as well as many state and 4H shows with his children and grandchildren, brought him great pleasure.
In his earlier years he played baseball on several city leagues and always followed the Detroit Tigers. He was a member and officer of the Morenci Jaycees, Gorman Jr. and Fairfield Granges, Lenawee and Hillsdale County Dairy Associations, and the Congregational Church of Morenci.
He is survived by his wife, Janice; children Mark (and Peggy) Reister, Debra Reister and Kevin Reister; four grandchildren, Marcia, Nicolas and Hope Reister and Nadia ElAnani; and one great-grandson; Evan ElAnani, all of Hillsdale County; a sister; Myra Fuhs of Adrian; a brother, Allen (and Sharon) Reister of Jonesville, Mich.; and many nieces, nephews and cousins.
He was preceded in death by his parents; a step-father, Wilson Sawyer; and a brother, Rolland Reister.
At Arnold’s request, cremation has taken place. A memorial service is planned at 11:30 a.m. Saturday, May 18, at the Brown-Van Hemert Funeral Home in Hudson, with Pastor Terry Bobzien officiating. Visitation is scheduled from 10-11:30 a.m. Saturday, prior to the service.
Memorial contributions are suggested to Hospice of Hillsdale County, American Cancer Society or the First Congregational Church of Pittsford, Mich.