The Weekly Newspaper serving the citizens of Morenci, Mich., Fayette, Ohio, and surrounding areas.

  • Front.cheers
    MACEE BEERS joins other Fayette Elementary School students for the annual Mini-Cheer performance during the half-time break at the basketball game.
  • Family.3.wide
    CHILDREN at Stair District Library’s Family Story Time toss scarves into the air during an activity. The evening program provided a mix of stories, songs, dancing, crafts and snacks Monday evening. The program is offered at 5:30 p.m. every Monday for five more weeks. The program is designed for three to five year olds and their family.
  • Front.newpaper.2
    THE INTERVIEW—Evelyn Joughin (right) records the interaction with an iPad while Jack Varga, next to her, asks questions of Morenci Elementary School principal Gail Frey. Morenci senior Sam Cool (standing) listens. Cool serves as the editor for the newspaper written by members of Mrs. Barrett’s second grade class.
  • Front.code.2
    WRITING CODE—Brock Christle (left), a Morenci fifth grade student, takes a look at the progress being made by fourth grader Anthony Lewis. Libby Rorick, a sixth grade student, is next in a line of girls trying out the coding tutorials. This year marked Morenci’s second year of participation in the Hour of Code project.
  • Front.skelton.vigil
    MORENCI’S three Skelton brothers were remembered with both tears and laughter last week during a candlelight vigil at Wakefield Park. Several people came out of the crowd to give their recollection of the boys who have now been missing for five years.
  • Front.gym.new
    REMIE RYAN (left) tries to dodge the foam wand held by Hayden Bays during physical education class at Morenci Elementary School. In the background, Lauryn Dominique and Brooklyn Williams stay clear of the tag. Second grade students were working on cardiovascular health on the first day back from vacation. For the record, Safety Tag is a very difficult sport to photograph.
  • Front.lift
    MORENCI student Dalton McCowan puts everything into a dead lift attempt Saturday morning during the Wyseguy Push/Pull event. Lifters helped raise more than $1,600 for the family of the late Devin Wyse, a former Morenci power-lifter who graduated last year. Commemorative T-shirts are still available by contacting teacher Dan Hoffman.

Filming underway for TV report on Skeltons 2012.12.19

Written by David Green.

Initial filming got underway Monday in Morenci for a segment of a new television series called “John Walsh Investigates.”

The series is currently in the development stage and will feature several criminal cases, both solved and unsolved. One segment will profile the case of Morenci three missing boys, Andrew, Alexander and Tanner Skelton.

Morenci Chief of Police Larry Weeks explained that Walsh is the father of a child who went missing in the 1980s while in a Sears department store in Florida.

“The case was poorly handled by law enforcement at the time,” Weeks said. “Mr. Walsh became a strong advocate for a change in the system and many good things have come out of it since that time to improve the investigation and reporting of missing children.

The National Center for Missing and Exploited Children was created from Walsh’s efforts and he started the television series “America's Most Wanted.”

The show was broadcast on the Fox network for many years and later moved to the Lifetime Network.

Weeks said that Walsh’s new program is expected to go into much greater detail with unsolved cases. At this time no schedule has been announced for the series that will show on the Lifetime Network. 

Filming on Monday involved what’s known as “b roll” footage—filler to be used during parts of the program, such as Chief Weeks walking downtown and getting into his police car. Additional filming was done with Tanya Zuvers, the mother of the three missing boys.

The film crew also traveled to the Holiday City, Ohio, area where the boys father, John Skelton, allegedly drove on the night the boys went missing in November 2010.

The crew was expected to film in Adrian on Tuesday at the courthouse.

Chief Weeks and Zuvers met with Walsh at a location outside the city for formal interviews.

Zuvers wrote to Walsh in an attempt to gain his interest in the unresolved case.

Weeks described his part in the filming episode as uncomfortable, but he will gladly put up with the film crew’s requests in order to further the investigation. He’s pleased that Walsh is taking an interest in the case in hopes of collecting new leads.

Weekly newspaper serving SE Michigan and NW Ohio - State Line Observer ©2006-2016