Morenci students part of art show 03.03.10
Five art pieces from Morenci Elementary School students were part of the annual Region III art show at the Adrian College Stubnitz Gallery. The show ended Sunday.
School art instructors who are members of the Michigan Art Education Association may enter up to five works of art from each school level.
Heidi Drake entered the works by the following students in the juried show:
• Layla Marshall, “Self Portrait” in oil pastel;
• Wyatt Keller, “Picasso Style Portrait” in oil pastel;
• Mackenzie Russell, “Amber,” a Mark Rothko style abstract expressionist oil pastel painting;
• Walker Whitehouse, “Happy and Healthy,” a self portrait of brushing teeth in tempera paint;
• and Jasmine Crowell, “Happy Child,” a twist tie sculpted drawing.
Region III consists of Monroe, Washtenaw, and Lenawee counties. Works by four of Mrs. Drake’s students (Keller, Marshall, Russell, and Crowell) were selected to advance to the next phase of competition in Lansing.
If chosen at the Lansing show, their work will become part of the state’s “Top 30 Show,” and will be displayed in various locations around the state including the Michigan Art Education Association Annual State Convention, scheduled in Detroit this fall.
“Only 15 works are selected for the elementary division of the Top 30,” Mrs. Drake said. “The other 15 come from the middle school division, so I am pretty humbled and honored.”
|< Prev||Next >|