Fayette house damaged by fire 12.04.08

Written by David Green.

A Fayette house was severely damaged by fire Nov. 25.

A Union Street home owned by Kyle Sallows suffered an estimated $60,000 to $70,000 worth of damage from a blaze that was reported at 8 a.m a week ago Tuesday. A member of the neighboring Zuvers family called in the report.house.fire.12.04.jpg

When Gorham Fayette fire chief Tom Franks arrived on the scene, the front exterior of the structure was fully covered by flames.

Neighbors weren’t sure if anyone was home so Franks attempted to enter the building on the east side. He was unable to make contact with anyone and was forced to leave the house due to the heat of the fire.

Franks was attempting to enter through another door when the owner emerged from the house. By this time, he said, several windows had blown out and the fire was advancing further into the house.

Franks was joined by the first fire truck from Fayette’s department at 8:08 a.m. and the first unit from the Morenci Fire Department arrived at 8:22.

Franks determined the fire started due to an electrical problem. Flames moved into the house from under the front porch.

Twenty Fayette fire department members were at the scene, along with 14 from Morenci. There were no injuries to personnel, although two pet ferrets died in the fire. Sallows was able to remove much of his clothing and some other items from the house.

Franks expressed thanks to the Fayette police department and Ohio State Highway patrolman Rodney Bingman for assistance at the scene, and to the local Circle K management for bringing food and hot drinks to the scene.

  • Front.batter
    THE DERBY—Tyler “Smallpox” Flakne of Minnesota’s Home Run League All-Stars goes for the fence Friday night during the National Wiffle League Association’s home run derby in Morenci. This year the wiffleball national tournament moved from Dublin, Ohio, to Morenci’s Wakefield Park. During the derby, competitors had two minutes to hit as many home runs as possible. The winner this year finished with 21. See page 6 and 7 for additional photos.
  • Front.green Screen
    OUT OF THIS WORLD—Elizabeth McFadden and Elise Christle pose in front of the green screen as VolunTeen Noah Gilson makes them appear as though they are standing on the Moon. More photos from the Stair District Library’s NASA @ My Library program are on page 12.
  • Front.snake
    Lannis Smith of the Leslie Science and Nature Center in Ann Arbor shows off a python last week at Stair District Library's Summer Reading Program.
  • Front.fireworks
    FIREWORKS erupt Saturday night over Morenci’s Wakefield Park during the waning hours of the Town and Country Festival. Additional festival photos are inside.
  • Pipeline Spread
    LINED UP—Lengths of pipe were put in place last week along the route of the Rover natural gas pipeline that will stretch from Defiance, Ohio, to Ontario, Canada. Topsoil was removed before the pipes were laid out. The 42-inch diameter pipeline is scheduled for completion in November.
  • Front.F.school
    PROGRESS continues on the agriculture classroom addition at Fayette High School. The project will add 2,900 square feet of space and include an overhead door that would allow equipment to be driven inside. The building should be ready for the start of school in August. Work on ball fields and a running track is also underway.
  • Front.rock Study
    ROCKHOUNDS—From the left, Joseph McCullough, Sean Pagett and Jonathan McCullough peer through hand lenses to study rocks. The project is part of Morenci Elementary School’s summer camp that continues into August.

Weekly newspaper serving SE Michigan and NW Ohio - State Line Observer ©2006-2017