A Fayette house was severely damaged by fire Nov. 25.
A Union Street home owned by Kyle Sallows suffered an estimated $60,000 to $70,000 worth of damage from a blaze that was reported at 8 a.m a week ago Tuesday. A member of the neighboring Zuvers family called in the report.
When Gorham Fayette fire chief Tom Franks arrived on the scene, the front exterior of the structure was fully covered by flames.
Neighbors weren’t sure if anyone was home so Franks attempted to enter the building on the east side. He was unable to make contact with anyone and was forced to leave the house due to the heat of the fire.
Franks was attempting to enter through another door when the owner emerged from the house. By this time, he said, several windows had blown out and the fire was advancing further into the house.
Franks was joined by the first fire truck from Fayette’s department at 8:08 a.m. and the first unit from the Morenci Fire Department arrived at 8:22.
Franks determined the fire started due to an electrical problem. Flames moved into the house from under the front porch.
Twenty Fayette fire department members were at the scene, along with 14 from Morenci. There were no injuries to personnel, although two pet ferrets died in the fire. Sallows was able to remove much of his clothing and some other items from the house.
Franks expressed thanks to the Fayette police department and Ohio State Highway patrolman Rodney Bingman for assistance at the scene, and to the local Circle K management for bringing food and hot drinks to the scene.