Hogs lost in barn fire 10.27
About 700 hogs were lost in an overnight fire early Tuesday morning, while workers managed to save about 300 head.
The Gorham Fayette Fire Department was called to 13442 Fulton County Road 19, between County Road N and U.S. 20, at 2:45 a.m. with the report of a large hog barn on fire.
Department member Kim Raker was driving through the area when taking her mother to the airport, said fire chief Tom Franks, and she first thought she was driving through fog. Once it became obvious that it was smoke, she saw the source and drove into the farm to investigate. By that time, a large portion of the ceiling in the 265-foot long structure was already burning.
She called the county dispatcher and awoke residents in the farm house.
About 300 hogs were transported by truck to another barn and only three hogs were known to have run away from the barn. Many of those that remained in the barn had to be euthanized.
The barn was owned by Greg Borton and the hogs were owned by Archbold Elevator, Franks said. He determined the blaze was caused by the electrical system. Franks said the structure was an older style hog barn with wood walls, and added that this was the second barn fire at the farm in less than a decade.
Franks requested immediate demolition of the remaining structure due to the threat of high winds Tuesday afternoon.
Fayette was assisted by equipment and personnel from fire departments in Morenci, Archbold, Wauseon and Lyons.
Franks said it was fortunate that Raker discovered the fire because sparks from that blaze could have ignited an adjacent hog barn.
|< Prev||Next >|