Penningtons honored at foundation dinner 4.23
Long-time Morenci residents Richard and Marvolene Pennington were honored at the Morenci Education Foundation’s annual Dinner and Auction Saturday.
Richard married the former Marvolene Schoonover in December 1953 and they raised five sons—Mark, Gary, Terry, Keith and Dean.
Pennington Gas Service, a family owned business, was originally started in 1953 by Richard’s parents, Claire and Theola Pennington, who sold LP gas cylinders from their grocery store on Weston Road. Richard entered into partnership with his parents, and a new LP gas facility was constructed in 1960.
The Penningtons went into partnership with Ken and Betty Richardson in 1970 when they purchased the former A&P grocery store on Main Street and converted it into the Village Inn Restaurant. The Penningtons sold their interest in the business a few years later, and in 1982 sold Pennington Gas Service to their five sons.
Richard and Marvolene have been involved in many community events and organizations throughout the years, and have been active members of the Church of the Nazarene for over 50 years.
Saturday’s event was dedicated to the Penningtons for their generous support of the Morenci community and the Morenci Area School district, a tradition which has continued through their sons.
|< Prev||Next >|