Katrina Gulliver discusses the use of Twitter and ends her article with her Ten Commandments:
1. Put up an avatar. It doesn’t really matter what the picture is, but the “egg picture” (the default avatar for new accounts) makes you look like a spammer.
2. Don’t pick a Twitter name that is difficult to spell or remember.
3. Tweet regularly.
4. Don’t ignore people who tweet at you. Set Twitter to send you an e-mail notification when you get a mention or a private message. If you don’t do that, then check your account frequently.
5. Engage in conversation. Don’t just drop in to post your own update and disappear. Twitter is not a “broadcast-only” mechanism; it’s CB radio.
6. Learn the hashtags for your subject field or topics of interest, and use them.
7. Don’t just make statements. Ask questions.
8. Don’t just post links to news articles. I don’t need you to be my aggregator.
9. Do show your personality. Crack some jokes.
10. Have fun.