PolitiFact’s Truth-o-meter looks over claims made by politicians and big-mouth TV people and determines what’s true and what isn’t. It’s non-partisan, finding problems on both sides of the aisle.
It’s likely you’ve heard many of the claims made here. Now find out which ones you can believe.
• Social Security is a Ponzi scheme. False
• Grocery prices have risen significantly in the past year. Barely true
• Federal gas tax has not been raised since 1993. True
• The president’s trip to India cost $200 million a day. False
• Members of Congress did not have three days to read the bill “when the stimulus was rushed into law.” True