Author Susan Orlean recently finished writing a book. The process has changed, she said. Here’s an excerpt:
1. Think of a book topic.
2. See if the domain name for your title is available. If not, consider changing the topic.
3. Does the book title/topic morph easily into a Twitter hashtag? If not, consider changing the topic.
4. Set up the Facebook page for the book and a fan page for yourself as Joe Blow, Author; send out an e-mail blast to your entire contact list asking people to “like” your fan and book pages.
5. Is the topic likely to lend itself to a good book trailer? Currently, how many views do you get on your YouTube channel, excluding those for your cat videos? If below a hundred thousand, can you get an A-list director to do your book trailer? If not, consider changing the topic.
6. Is there sufficient material for the video-enhanced version of the book? If not, consider changing the topic.