Michael Tomasky has a tough geography quiz today:
1. Which is the northernmost of these four cities?
2. Which is the southernmost of these four cities?
a. Cape Town
3. The Caspian, Aral and Black seas: list them from west to east (left to right) on a map.
4. Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan is now in the news. Match these three other central Asian capitals to their –stans:
5. Name the country on this list with which the Central African Republic does not share a border: Cameroon, Chad, Congo, Democratic Republic of Congo, Gabon, Sudan.
6. Name the outlier among these four cities and explain why:
a. Washington DC
7. Which is the longest river in North America: the Mississippi, the Missouri, or the St. Lawrence?
8. Which Saudi Arabian city is coastal – Mecca or Jeddah?
9. Which city is farther from Manila – Karachi or Auckland?
10. Which country, bordering 14 others, has the longest land borders in the world with other nations?
1: b, Prague, at 50.06.
2: d, Montevideo, at -34.88.
3. West to east: Black, Caspian, Aral (what remains of it).
4. Tajikstan and Dushanbe; Turkmenistan and Ashgabat; Uzbekistan and Tashkent.
6. c, Ankara, is the only city not built expressly to serve as a national capital.
7. The Missouri is the longest, at 2,540 miles, 200 more than the Mississippi and about 600 longer than the St. Lawrence.
8. Jeddah is on the Red Sea.
9. Auckland is 4,980 miles (8,014 km) from Manila; Karachi is just 3,563 miles (5,733 km) away.
10. China’s land borders with other nations are the world’s longest, at 13,743 miles (22,117 km).