The Weekly Newspaper serving the citizens of Morenci, Mich., Fayette, Ohio, and surrounding areas.
- they’re off!—R unners head north on Sims Highway Saturday morning at the annual Mike Gillen Memorial 5-K Run in Morenci. This year’s event was a benefit for school employee Sherri Dillon to help with medical costs from brain surgery. Results from the run are listed on page 8 of this week’s Observer.
- YOUNG CHEERERS got their turn to root for the Bulldogs Friday during the annual Cheerleader for a Day event. The youngsters cheered with the high school squad during the first half of the contest. In the front, from the left, are Colbie Ekins, Emilia Yatzek and Ella Pierce.
- BOWEN BAUMGARTNER of Morenci makes his way across a rope bridge constructed by the Tecumseh Boy Scout troop Sunday at Lake Hudson Recreation Area. The bridge was one of many challenges, displays and games set up for the annual Youth Jamboree by the Michigan DNR. Additional photos on are the back page of this week’s Observer.
- FINGERPRINTS cover the windows on the front of Morenci Elementary School as children search to find their name on classroom lists to see who their teacher will be. Celeste Glass (left) stopped by at the school while Connor Ford was locating his name. Posting class lists was a tradition for decades at the school, but stopped several years ago. Principal Gail Frey brought it back this year.
- A TRAFFIC control worker stands in the middle of Morenci’s Main Street Tuesday morning, waiting for the next flow of vehicles to be let through from the west. The dusty gravel surface was sealed with a layer of tar, leaving only the application of paint for new striping. The project was completed in conjunction with county road commission work west of Morenci.
- HEAD OFFICIAL Carl Harsh tosses the coin before the start of Morenci’s football season Friday at home against Pittsford. The Bulldogs won the contest 44-6 and face a challenge at Hudson this week. Due to the Labor Day holiday weekend, the game will be played at 7 p.m. Thursday on the Tigers’ field. Morenci’s captains are, from the left, Brandon DiCenso, Isaiah Pruitt and Koty Dillon.
- AUSTIN BURGHARDT lets out a yell to get an adrenalin boost during the pedal tractor competition Saturday afternoon at the annual Lyons Chicken Barbecue. The pedal pull was sponsored by the Evergreen FFA.
- A COUPLE CHARACTERS—Gumby (Denise Walsh) and Beetlejuice (Nash Walsh) walk back across the Silver Creek bridge at the conclusion of the annual Labor Day event in Morenci. The Walshes were among the few who dressed up as movie characters to match the Hollywood theme of this year’s walk. Additional photos are on the back page.